Between postpartum hair loss (six times!) And Hashmoto, I’ve noticed that a lot of hair goes down the drain in the past. I use system oil for hair growth and regrowth, but there is more to how to prevent thinning hair. Here I cover how to take care of thin hair and encourage hair growth.
What causes thinning hair in women?
It is possible to fix thinning hair, but we need to know why it occurs first. There are many reasons for women to experiment with thinning hair.
Unlike men, women do not usually have a reduced hairline or bald spot, but hair does not grow as it should. The hair grows a little on the crown, falls out rapidly, and the hair is deliberately short.
Postpartum hair loss
It is normal to lose a few dozen hairs a day, but the hair does not grow out as it usually does during pregnancy. Although after the baby is born, they can release a handful of dense pressure, so the hair looks thinner than usual.
Hair loss in women that resembles male pattern baldness can mean a hormonal imbalance, such as too many male hormones. Doctors often prescribe hormone therapy for this type of hair loss. Unfortunately, these drugs can cause side effects and are not safe during pregnancy.
Hormonal changes during menopause also help to thin the hair.
Too many male hormones
Hyperandrogenism is when a woman’s body makes too many male hormones, called androgens. These extra male hormones can cause hair loss. Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common cause of excess male hormones. PCOS is associated with hair loss, obesity, acne, irregular periods and infertility.
Hormones play a major role in our hair growth cycle. We need estrogen to help our hair stay in the growth phase at the right time. Male hormones, also known as androgens, do not keep hair friendly and shorten hair growth.
When these hormones become weird, hair can hurt.
It’s in the gene
This is not as common as other types of thinning hair, but women’s hair loss is mostly genetic. The genes of either the mother or the father passed down, the scalp is called the hair follicle more than usual. It can start as early as adolescence and can lead to more severe hair loss. Thinning hair on the crown and falling hair on the front of the head is a sign of genetic baldness.
As a person with Hashmoto’s thyroiditis, I know first hand how the thyroid can affect hair. An imbalance in the thyroid can affect the hair follicles and cause hair loss. A slow thyroid can also lead to iron deficiency, which can make hair thinner and worse.
Stress levels or serious illness can actually cause a bad day for hair. When we are stressed, our body can respond by accelerating male hormones. This can lead to scalp problems such as dryness and hair loss. Stress can also lead to changes in eating habits (hello chocolate binge) and damage to digestion, which increases the risk of thinning hair.
Low vitamin B12 can cause low energy, fatigue and hair loss. Red blood cells need B12 to work and are in charge of carrying oxygen to the body. Due to the lack of healthy blood flow to the scalp; you guessed it, hair loss.
Our blood also needs iron to function properly and feeds the scalp for healthy hair. According to a 2006 article Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology Low iron levels, even without anemia, can cause thinning hair.
Harmful hair styles
No, I’m not talking about the 80’s millet. Stiff hair styling stretches the hair follicles and can cause thinning hair, according to the Mayo Clinic. Strict titles, corners, some hair products, and styling tools (such as curling irons and hair dryers) can damage the hair and cause it to become thinner.
Traditional hair treatment for thinning hair
Drugs are available for thinning hair, but only keep the symptoms at bay. If the drug is not used every day for the rest of your life, the hair itself will become thinner. Scientists report that the drug may appear to promote hair growth, but they do not believe in how it works.
According to the Mayo Clinic, commonly used hair thinners can cause chest pain, rapid heart rate, itching, tingling, redness and burning sensation in the scalp and lower sexual drive. Not only does it help to enhance the entire tone of the hair, but it can also give you a mustache and facial hair!
A 2014 article states that only 30% of people who take hair loss medication take it because of its high side effects. Of course, you should consult your doctor and do your own research to find the best option for you.
Natural Hair Remedies
If you are looking for natural options to reorganize or slow down hair loss, there are many options! From vitamins to foods to natural oils and hair products, you can find the root cause (no pin intended) and try these methods.
1. Nutrients and vitamins
We are what we eat and so is our hair. The stressed and malnourished body cannot maintain a healthy scalp and tight locks. The National Institutes of Health Nutritional Supplements recommends the following nutrients for healthy, thick hair:
- Iron – Red blood cells need iron for healthy hair to function and the scalp contains nutrients. Animal sources make ham iron better absorbed than plant ham iron. Iron-containing foods in plants are poorly absorbed because they contain iron inhibitors that prevent us from absorbing iron. Good sources of iron include grass-fed red meat and oysters.
- Vitamin C – This antioxidant absorbs iron properly. It is necessary. Most people think of orange juice when they think of vitamin C, but pepper is actually a great source. Vitamin C is also found in rose hips, chemo chemo powder, citrus fruits and kiwi. You can also get vitamin C from a high quality supplement.
- Vitamin A – Our scalp needs vitamin A to make sebum, a thick liquid that moisturizes and moisturizes hair. Oranges and red vegetables contain beta carotene, not vitamin A. Many of us have cases of effectively converting beta carotene into usable vitamin A. Top sources of prefamine vitamin A include grass-fed meat, Cod oil, skim milk and more. Free range eggs.
- Biotin – This B vitamin helps keep hair strong to prevent breakage and thinning. Beef liver, egg yolk and salmon are the most biotin-rich.
- Zinc – The mineral zinc helps in the growth and repair of tissue, including hair. Grass-fed beef and pumpkin seeds are good sources.
- Avoid bad fats – Unhealthy trans fats and processed foods increase inflammation and help with hormonal imbalances, such as high DHT. Too much DHT can mean hair loss. It is best to avoid processed vegetable oils, such as canola, soy, and corn. Real olive oil is full of healthy omega-3 fatty acids that make our bodies (and hair) better. A 2009 research article Chemistry and biodiversity Found healthy saturated fat actually prevents the formation of excess DHT.
2. Herbal Remedies
Herbs are powerful and have been used for thousands of years! Try:
According to Dr. Sherwell Tlinger’s 2009 book Herbal medicineGhetto Cola can help thin hair. This herb can help the body deal with stress, reduce inflammation, speed up healing time, and speed up the circulation for hair growth.
Although pregnant uncles should avoid this herb, be careful.
Horseshoe and Oats True
Both of these herbs are high in nutritious silica for strong hair and nails. Horseshoe can be used on the scalp or taken as a tea or texture, but when it is itchy, there are more precautions to take. Dr. Tulgner warns that taking Harsel supplements at any time can lead to B1 deficiency and that it is not safe to integrate during pregnancy.
Pregnant (and non-pregnant) uncles can still benefit from my hair growth serum and DIY hair masks that use hairspray.
Ginkgo strengthens hair, stimulates blood flow to the scalp, and increases antioxidants, according to the New England Herbal Academy. This herb can interfere with some medicines, so if you take prescription medications, talk to your healthcare provider before using Ginkgo. Ginkgo is available in the form of a tea, standard capsule, or tincture.
The palm oil is commonly used in men, but it can also help reduce hair loss. This herb balances testosterone levels to help heal thin hair caused by hormonal imbalances.
A 2009 study found that men and women took three months to detect palmetto lotion and shampoo. A third of the people in the study had thick hair after using saw palmetto products. Approximately 40% of men who have seen palmito capsules every day for 2 years. They have high hair growth.
Researchers have found that this herb is more effective for mild to moderate hair loss. PCOS can cause hair loss, but it is also used to treat both thinning hair and other PCOS symptoms.
Pancakes or American ginseng is anti-inflammatory, increases circulation, and helps reduce hair loss. Unfortunately, the popularity of ginseng has skyrocketed and it is an endangered plant.
According to the book Winston & Mimes, morally lost ginseng can be taken twice daily in capsules as a tincture or 1 gram. Adaptogenesis.
Hibiscus makes a delicious tea, but it can also help curl hair. A 2003 study found that hibiscus salo improved hair growth.
Hibiscus tea is high in vitamin C and is rinsed or drunk to help with hair growth. I think rubbing hibiscus salo on your hair like a study can be messy!
Exercise helps keep the body in shape and at its best, but it also helps to thin the hair. When we exercise, it reduces stress and increases circulation, both of which are important for hair growth.
Red light therapy or LLLT can help hair look its best. A 2019 article reported positive results. In all eleven light therapy cases, participants saw an improvement in hair loss and thickness compared to the control group.
5. Pumpkin seed oil
Pumpkin seed oil contains phytosterols which reduce hormonal imbalances that can lead to hair loss. In one study, people who took 400 mg of pumpkin seed oil daily for 24 weeks saw a 40% improvement in hair thickness.
6. Castor oil
Castor oil is a thick, sticky liquid that is great for hair growth. It is an antibacterial and antifungal to help keep the scalp healthy. Even better, castor oil contains recolonic acid to promote circulation to deep, strong hair. Some hair products (including excessive alkaline number-po options) can damage the scalp, but castor oil helps restore pH balance. This is how I use castor oil for fast hair growth.
7. Onion juice
Yes, really! Who knows what made people rub onion juice on their heads but I’m glad they did!
In a 2012 article, onion juice was tested for hair loss. In this study, men and women applied onion juice twice a day and observed hair growth after only 2 weeks. In the control group, only 71% of women and about 949% of men regained their hair in a week, compared to only 13%.
Onions are high in the antioxidant quercetin. In this animal study, researchers administered quercetin to mice to effectively treat and prevent hair loss caused by inflammation and autoimmune disease.
8. Green tea
While I don’t drink green tea all the time (why is that), it is rich in the antioxidant phytosterols that have been shown to prevent and treat thinning hair. A 2007 article states that it can help with hair growth. These phytosterols reduce inflammation and help inhibit the activity of hormones that cause hair loss.
Vitamin B3 is also known as niacin for a healthy scalp and hair. A 2005 study Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology Tested for this vitamin. The study included 60 women with genetic hair loss. Completion of niacin increased the fullness of women’s hair in a period of 6 months.
This vitamin (along with hair-raising biotin) is rich in egg yolk. Grandma was on something with her egg shampoo!
10. Essential oils to thin hair
Rosary essential oil goes head to head with common hair loss medicine. Research from Skinny Surprising results. In the study, rosemary essential oil increased the circulation of the scalp and also worked in drugs, but less with irritation in the scalp.
A 1998 study Jam Dermatology Also looked at essential oils for hair loss. Study participants used a mixture of cedar, lavender and rosemary in their scalp. Compared to the control group, the essential oil group showed significant improvement in hair growth and thickness.
The Plant Therapy Blog (one of my favorite brands) recommends the following essential oils for hair growth.
Frankincense cartridge 2 drops of essential oil
2 drops of geranium essential oil
1 tablespoon of organ carrier oil
1 teaspoon of evening primrose carrier oil
11. Hair shampoo and products
Heavy hair care products reduce hair loss and help with breakage. Traditional hair products contain toxins that can play a role in hormonal imbalances that can lead to thinning hair.
Even many new options are not balanced by the pH of the scalp and can cause hair loss over time. Here are some healthy, natural options for thinning hair.
Here are my favorite recipes for thinning hair. If you’re short on time, I’ve included links to healthy healthy shopping options.
This article was written by Dr. Scott Soares, MD, Medical Director, Family Physician and Study MD. As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk to your doctor.
- Adhirajan, N., Ravi Kumar, T., Shangasandram, N. and Babu, M. (2003). Diagnosis of Hibiscus rosa-Sinensis Lin hair growth potential in vivo and in vitro. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 88 (2-3), 235-9. DOI: 10.1016 / s0378-8741 (03) 00231-9
- Chou, Yi, Li, S, Jeong, D, Choi, E, Kim, Yi, Li, J, Yi, Yi, and Cha, H (2014). Effect of pumpkin seed oil on hair growth in men with androgenic alopecia: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine. doi: 10.1155 / 2014/549721
- Derlos, Z, Jacobson, E, Kim, H, Monson, K, and Jacobson, M (2005). A pilot study examining the efficacy of niacin derivatives applied topically for the treatment of female pattern alopecia. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. 4 (4) 258-261. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1473-2165.2005.00201.x
- Grass, I., Jameson, M., and Ormerd, A (1998). Successful treatment of alopecia areata. Jam Dermatology. 134 (11), 1349-135. doi: 10.1001 / archdrum.134.11.1349
- Heidberg, N.D. What is the relationship between thyroid and hair loss? Retrieved from https://drhedberg.com/thyroid-and-hair-loss/
- New England Herbal Academy. (ND). Ginkgo monograph. Retrieved from https://herbarium.theherbalacademy.com/
- Joet, V (2019) That’s why your hair is falling out. Retrieved from https://www.cosmopocon.com/uk/beauty-hair/advice/a48958/hair-loss-reason/
- Kwon, O, Han, J, Yu, H, Chung, J, Chu, K, Avon, HC, and Kim, H (2007). Increasing human hair growth in vitro via Green Tea Epiglottin 3 Gel (EGCG). Phytomedicine. 14 (7-8), 551-5. DOI: 10.1016 / j.phymed.2006.09.009
- Liu, J., Shimizu, K., and Kondo, R. (2009) Anti-androgenic activity of fatty acids – chemical biodiversity. 6 (4), 503-12. DOI: 10.1002 / cbdv.200800125
- Liu, K, Liu, D, Chen, Y, and Chen, S (2019). Comparative effectiveness of low laser therapy for adult androgenic alopecia: a system review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Laser in medical science. 34 (6), 1063-1069. doi: 10.1007 / s10103-019-02723-6
- Mayo Clinic. (2019) Drugs and Supplements Monoxide (Conditions) Side Effects. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/minoxidil-topical-route/side-effects/drg-20068750
- Messenger, A, and Randgreen, Jr .; (2004) Minoxidil: Mechanisms of hair growth regulation. British Journal of Dermatology. 150 (2), 186-94. DOI: 10.1111 / j.1365-2133.2004.05785.x
- Morogosandrum, S. (2009) Cernova Repens: Does it play a role in the management of androgenetic alopecia? Journal of Catanios and Aesthetic Surgery. 2 (1), 31–32.doi: 10.4103 / 0974-2077.53097
- Panahi, Y, Taghizadah, M., Marzoni, E. and Sahibkar, A. (2015). Rosemary Oil vs. Monoxide 2 ٪ for the treatment of androgenetic alloys: a randomized comparative trial. Skinny 13 (1), 15-21.
- ٹروسٹ ، ایل ، برگ فیلڈ ، ڈبلیو ، اور کالجیرس ، ای۔ (2006) آئرن کی کمی کی تشخیص اور علاج اور اس کے بال گرنے سے امکانی تعلق ہے۔ جرنل آف امریکن اکیڈمی آف ڈرمیٹولوجی۔ 54 (5) ، 824-44۔ DOI: 10.1016 / j.jaad.2005.11.1104
- ویکرمامنائیک ، ٹی ، ولاسانٹ ، اے ، مورو ، ایل ، پیریز ، سی۔ ، شیچنر ، ایل ، اور جمنیز ، جے (2012)۔ C3H / HeJ ماؤس ماڈل میں قوورسٹیٹین کے ساتھ الپوسیہ ایریٹا کی روک تھام اور علاج۔ سیل تناؤ چیپرونس۔ 17 (2) ، 267-274۔ doi: 10.1007 / s12192-011-0305-3