We are often not ill, and when we do, I naturally allow the body to fight the disease whenever possible. That being said, such illnesses include coughing (such as bronchitis or particularly bad flu season) can be exhausting and painful because they limit the ability to sleep well.
In these cases, I seek to relieve the desire for cough and to help the afflicted ones get some much needed rest. I use this homemade cough syrup.
My ingredients for treating natural cough
This simple home remedy is full of healthy ingredients that naturally cause inflammation in the throat and boost the immune system.
The essential ingredients of this cough medicine, and the healing properties of each are:
- Raw honey can help prevent coughing (as long as the infants are over a year old). In fact, a tea spoon by itself can do the trick!
- Lemon juice provides essential nutrients for vitamin C.
- Fresh ginger is naturally inflammatory and has a high motility, but ground ginger works similarly.
- Chamomile relieves muscle mass, which is useful in removing “tickling” in the throat, as well as promoting restful sleep.
- The root of Marsh Melo has the highest massage content of all herbs and coatings and relaxes the throat.
- Cinnamon helps boost the immune system and improve taste.
You can find most of these ingredients at your local health store, grocery store, or Amazon. I’ve provided links in the recipe below that I use.
I’ve raised a lot of questions about cough syrup in my home! Here are some common ones:
- Where can I Find Chamomile Flowers? You can find whole flowers at a local shoe store, Asian market, or online. If it’s easy you can also use pure chamomile tea bags. Or you can grow your own! If you want to use chamomile oil, this will cause convection to cool down.
- What if I don’t have marshmallow root? You can use chili grains instead, or skip it.
- Can I freeze small portions in the ice tray to extend shelf life? Yes why not!
- How long will it last? In the fridge for two months.
- Can I add a healthy dose to suppress this cough? Yes! Slight hover hounds, slippery elm, cherry sieve, apple cider vinegar, turmeric, or cayenne all add to the goodness.
- What about young children? I stick to baby nursing and hot Epsom salt baths. Consult your doctor about the use of raw honey on children under the age of 2 If you are worried about honey, you can substitute honey for maple syrup for very young children.
- Can I add essential oils? I am careful, because most essential oils should not be taken internally.
- How should I store this home remedy for cough? In the refrigerator in an airtight container. Glass jars would be a great choice.
Recipes for homemade herbal cough recipes
This simple combination of herbs relaxes the throat to ease cough and promote restful sleep. I use this treatment only on children who are older than raw honey. Consult your doctor before using them with children under two years of age. If you want to be extra careful, you can also substitute maple syrup.
Honey cough recipe
It uses honey, herbs, and lemons as a cough syrup to soothe cough and sore throat.
In a medium sized pan, combine water and dried herbs.
Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
Boil until the volume is reduced to about half (you will need 1 cup of liquid after pressing the herbs).
To remove herbs (for fertilizer herbs), pour water from herbs with a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
While the liquid is still hot, add the garlic and lemon slices to the honey.
Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
I give 1 teaspoon to the children and 1 teaspoon to the elderly, depending on the symptoms required.
Note: this is not medical advice. Check with your doctor if you are concerned about the symptoms.
Have you ever made a cough syrup? What herbs did you add? What natural remedies do you use to ease cough? Share below!