When I talked about natural bug spray alternatives the four thieves mentioned the vinegar, but this health tank is so much more than that! This herbal tincture is simple and works for many purposes (more on that below). We use it for disease internally and externally for natural insects.
Signs of four thieves
And if you’re thinking of a name …
According to the legend, four thieves’ vinegar came from a special mixture of herbs used during the bubonic plague.
The story goes that the four thieves, one of whom was an herbalist, robbed the homes of many who died of plague. Eventually the detainees were released and, in exchange for a trial, the thieves were released in exchange for a prescription they had secured from the plague.
The thief escaped, as did the herpes and prescriptions of herbal vinegar.
Although we hope that this will never be needed for anything as serious as a plague, it is still a valuable cure against many ailments and is a powerful bactericidal and bug spray.
Four thieves uses vinegar
This prescription has been around herbs that have been known for centuries for their anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-septic and anti-fungal properties (and science backs it up). Just add the apple cider vinegar and let it sit until it reaches the strength.
I’ve outlined some ways to use it.
- Insect repellent – As I mentioned earlier, this vinegar makes a very effective (though tough-smelling!) Natural insect repellent. If you need it firmly, just add 1/4 cup of vinegar to an 8 ounce spray bottle and fill in the remaining water. In heavy insect infested areas when spraying on skin, clothes, etc. We store the refrigerator in the fridge to minimize the smell of vinegar and to make it more refreshing.
- Such as taking one – I have reported to some people a really good success in taking this vinegar to peel or nail fungus or use it as a topical spray.
- Illness – In case of illness, vinegar of four thieves is very helpful in quick recovery. Adults can take 1 TBSP several times a day (light in water !!) and children can take 1 teaspoon several times a day (well diluted in water / herbal tea).
- Room disinfectant / refresher – When a family member becomes ill, dilute it with 1 part water and pour it into a spray bottle so that a strong germ pest can be used on the surface or sprayed in the air.
- Drought – Thin and used on the scalp, it is also said to be effective against dandruff.
- Cleaning – This vinegar natural makes an effective natural germicidal spray for home cleaning. But be warned… this is no scent!
Do not say that I did not warn you: the vinegar of the four thieves smells bad and has a bad taste almost, but it is very effective against various diseases. My kids complain (a little), but they know that this will help them feel faster!
Four Thief Health Tonic Prescription Vinegar
A strong prescription for herbal remedies, pesticide and germicidal pesticides.
In a large glass jar, combine all the dry herbs and garlic, if using.
Add the vinegar over the herbs and garlic and seal firmly. The vinegar is strong enough to corrode some metal caps, so in this case, put a plastic wrap or plastic bag on top and then put the lid on.
If possible shake daily, keep in cool, dark for 6-8 weeks.
After 6-8 weeks, strain the herbs using a small strainer and store the tank in a small jar for easy use.
Most herbs can be found locally, but they are also available online.
Need more natural remedies?
This is a list of my favorite things I do myself and always do:
Add the weird vinegar surgery name to this list and enjoy the awesome benefits!
This article was medically reviewed by Loren Jefferies, board certified in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics. As always, this is not a personal medical consultation, and we recommend that you talk to your doctor or work with a doctor at Study MD.
What is your best health treatment? Will you try this herb vinegar? Share below!